Even though I find the ever-shortening days and the nippy winds more delightful that anything else, not everyone handles the changing of the seasons as well. To conclude my A/W Prep mini series, I thought I'd touch on the subject of preparing yourself mentally for the colder months, as we've already covered how to look after your body. Without further ado, here are some tips and a few things to look out for as the leaves begin to change colour and the electric blankets are being whipped out...

- Let's face it, for the majority of us this time of year is one of our busiest. Some of us are heading back to school/university, and for those who are finished with (higher) education, work becomes busier and that carefree summer attitude seems like a distant memory. We need to get out of holiday mode and get back into gear, and a great way to do that is to indulge in new stationary, a pretty new diary or a new work bag. Little things that get you excited about getting back to work will make the whole transition that much easier.

- Keep an eye out for signs SAD or Seasonal Affective Disorder, which is a type of depression that tends to occur at the same time each year - usually during the winter - and is incredibly common. I'm obviously not a doctor, but having a history of mental illness I can definitely relate, so if I can be of any help, please do send me a message. It's important to be aware of conditions like this and familiarise yourself with how to handle them - whether it's something that you suffer from, or if it affects someone close to you. If you'd like more information on SAD, click here

- Use this 'new start' feeling to get going! Now is a great time to get stuck into a new hobby, to get exercising on a regular basis *again*, or kicking off your healthier eating plan. I'm always at the gym at this time of year because I get carried away with starting a new year at university, so it's almost like a new years resolution for me!

- Remember to get outside to get some fresh air and take in a few rays (when you can!) Vitamin D is essential for healthy bones, and we get most of our vitamin D from exposure to sunlight. Avoiding cabin fever is also key to keep you feeling happy and motivated, even when it's miserable outside, so try and get out at least once a day - even if it's to pop to the corner shop to buy some milk. Trust me, it'll make all the difference and you'll feel all the better for it - both physically and mentally.

Do you have any tips for surviving the winter months? Let me know!

4 comments

  1. I feel like the autumn months are a lot more hellish than winter months, mainly because you go back to school in autumn and that is SUCH a drastic feeling, and during winter there's Christmas and the New Year which gets you in the jolly holiday feels!
    Yet Another Makeup Blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Healthy eating and exercise definitely helps I think even though it's the time when you feel like not doing it, I suffer with depression in general but the weather does seem to make it worse even though that's not the cause..I haven't left my flat in 5 days pretty much now it's awful- I need to just start breaking the mould xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is true - the only holiday in autumn is Halloween and I'm not that bothered about that anyway! x

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have to get out! The times when you really don't want to leave the house are usually the times that it would do you the most good, so make sure you go for a stroll to break that cabin fever! x

    ReplyDelete

Follow

Instagram