With work being so busy recently I've really gotten behind on my reading, so today we're going to take a look at some of the books that I'm lining up to read once I get back into the habit of it. Luckily I've got a holiday booked next month so I'll definitely be able to make up for lost time and make my way through all of these books!

In a previous installment of The Reading List, I mentioned that as an Amazon Prime member I get the opportunity to receive a free pre-released book every month. This month I chose 'A House for Happy Mothers', which tells the tale of a 'baby farm' in a Southern Indian village where poorer mothers rent out their wombs to carry babies for richer couples in the West who can't conceive. The story is told from two sides, that of Priya who has a close to perfect life in the US but is desperate for a baby and Asha, a woman in India who can hardly keep a roof over her family's head and wants to provide a better education for her two children. This book sounds truly fascinating and I can't wait to get stuck into it!

Star Sandby Roger Pulvers:
Another pre-release from Amazon Prime, Star Sand is about a diary that is found in a cave in Japan which reveals a story of two soldiers, one American and one Japanese, who have abandoned their countries during WWII and are hiding out in this cave when a 16-year-old girl, Hiromi, stumbles across them and decides to help care for them, despite the fact that if their caught she will be deemed a traitor as well. A fourth person soon appears in the diary before the account suddenly ends, leaving someone decades after the diary is found to search for answers to all of the remaining questions. As a big fan of historical fiction, especially when it's Asian, this novel sounds thrilling to me! I'll be sure to update you if it's as good as it sounds.

When discussing our favourite books at work recently, a Spanish colleague of mine recently recommended that I read this after hearing that I love 'Like Water for Chocolate' by Laura Esquivel. With similar magical realism woven into the tale of three generations of a family in Latin America, this book seems right up my street, so I'm excited to get my teeth into this fantastical novel.

Enjoy my Reading List series? Why not check out part 1, 2, 3, 4 or 5? Are you lusting after any books lately? Let me know!

Post a Comment

Follow

Instagram