A Storm of Swords by George R. R. Martin: 
I've been obsessed with Game of Thrones ever since I binge watched the first three seasons a few years ago during my Easter break, and over time my love has only grown. I've been wanting to read the books for ages, but knowing just how long they are (5 books all over 1000 pages) I couldn't allow myself to start them until I'd graduated. So, this summer whilst in Mexico on holiday I started the first book (A Storm of Swords being book three) and I've been reading ever since! 

Como agua para chocolate by Laura Esquivel:
When I was in school in HK I had to study 'Like Water for Chocolate' for either my GCSE or IB level English exam, and luckily for me I fell in love. It's a beautiful story that combines a sense of magical realism and the plight of starcrossed lovers in Mexico. As mentioned, I've read it through a few times in English whilst studying, and then had a go at reading it in the original Spanish whilst studing the language at school, but never had enough time to read it. I really want to finally finish it in Spanish, not only because it'll help to keep up my Spanish, but also because it's a beautiful book that I would happily read a hundred times over.

The Russian Concubine by Kate Furnivall:
'The Russian Concubine' is the sequel to 'The Jewel of St. Petersburg' which I have already read and loved, so I'm excited to see what the next chapters hold. The first book followed the story of Valentina and Jens and their developing romance whilst trying to escape the newly revolutionised Soviet Union under the Bolsheviks. This second novel picks up in 1928 in China after their escape, but a few things have happened in between novels that have changed the dynamic of their relationship. I can't wait to start reading this once I've finished the GoT books!

Nothing to Envy by Barbara Demick:
I read a book a while back called All Woman and Springtime by B. W. Jones which really ignited my interest in literature surrounding the situation in North Korea. Nothing to Envy is a non-fiction account of the lives of several citizens of Chongin, North Korea's third largest city, and the adversities they face. North Korea is such an enigma, so being able to get real-life accounts from people who actually live their is extremely fascinating to me!

What books are waiting on your bookshelf/Kindle ready for a lazy afternoon read? 
I x

Post a Comment

Follow

Instagram