Kylie Lip Kit in Dolce K - US$29


When I was picking shades to splurge on, I decided to go for bolder colours or ones that I wouldn't usually go for. I covered bold with Mary J K and decided to go with Dolce K for something different - I have a million and one nude pinks but pretty much no true nudes, which is a category that Dolce K definitely falls under. The outcome? The colour is nice, but I'm not sure if I love it one me. I have to be really feeling confident to wear it (it's only been used twice in 2 months) because I'm still not sure about it - I bet that it looks a lot better on people with a different skin tone/undertone than me, though.


Kylie Lip Kit in Mary Jo K - US$29/£20


Onto the bold choice, Mary Jo K is a real stunner. A true blue-toned red, MJK is a perfect red for my cool-toned skin and honestly makes me feel a million dollars. However, this colour isn't as unique as Dolce K, with similar colours available from pretty much any other company. Although I prefer the shade of this one on myself, it doesn't feel 'as worth' the price because it doesn't scream Kylie. I don't know if I'm making much sense, but the fact of the matter is that because this isn't a very Kylie colour, I feel more reluctant to pay for the brand.


Texture/performance:


As expected from products of this type, the matte lipsticks in the Kylie Lip Kits are pretty drying. Are they the worst I've come across? No, but are they the least drying of the bunch? Absolutely not. I'd probably rate them a 7 out of 10 on the drying scale, so not terrible but not great either. This was no surprise, though, especially when worn by someone with super dry lips to begin with. What was a surprise was how 'gross' (for lack of a better word) these became on the lips after a couple of hours, on me at least. A few hours in they were flaking off and, in some places, balling up and becoming really clumpy. That means that when I came to reapplication time things became an uneven mess very quickly and the only way forward was to completely remove everything before attempting reapplication. What does this mean? Well, if you only need to look good for a few hours then you're fine, but considering how hard these are to remove without a proper makeup remover, you don't want to be out and about and needing to reapply.

I also found that they wore worse in the middle of my lips than any other matte liquid lipstick I've tried meaning that I found myself not wanting to smile as to reveal the excessive wear. I did like the lip liners, though - I didn't have any problems with their wear or application, but I wouldn't buy the kit just for them.

Another thing to note is that the lipstick doesn't come with a built in stopper, like most products with similar packaging tend to have. It didn't make a huge difference to the user experience, but it does feel a bit stingy coming from an 18 year old with a bazillion supercars - just sayin'.


The verdict:


So are they worth the hype? No, not really. Sure, they're pretty nice and Dolce K does give me that Kardashian/Jenner feel, but in my opinion, they are neither worth the price nor the excessive stress that one has to endure to get your hands on one. There are much better and cheaper options out there that you can find in your local Boots from brands like Bourjois, NYX and Revlon.

Still eager to try one out for yourself? If you're in the UK then I'd highly recommend downloading Depop onto your phone and browsing LillyJam's shop because she has most colours in stock for £39. Although the direct conversion from US$ for us is £20, once you factor in the shipping fees and possible customs fees then £39 per kit is about right. Lots of the people on Depop are frauds, especially when it comes to selling these lip kits, but I've bought from LillyJam a number of times and have never had a problem. So, if you absolutely have to get your hands on one but don't want to have to deal with the stress of ordering it from the website, then that's probably your best bet.

Have you tried any of Kylie's lip products? Do you think they're worth the price? Let me know!

Post a Comment

Follow

Instagram