Yep, you read that right: I'm sick of social media and how it's f***ing up my blog. 

For as long as I can remember, interaction has been perhaps the biggest reason for my blog's existence. Yes, I do love messing around with my camera and the thrill of writing up a cracking post, but the response and interaction that I get from readers and friends alike have always been my biggest motivation. 

That was until certain social media platforms started to f**k everybody over. 

Without naming any names *ahem cough cough* most of the big players in SM have gone over to the dark side by prioritising big companies with big pockets over the faithful users that quite literally built their success. While that may not matter that much to the average user, those of us who rely on SM platforms to publicise our blogs/vlogs etc. have been left in the dust and forced to find out how exactly to navigate these (frankly frustrating) new algorithms. Whilst this sucks for me, someone who blogs as a hobby, I can only imagine how much of a hit those who do this for a living have taken. 

So what does this mean? Whilst full-time bloggers have surely been taking a pay cut, I've lost all desire to write anything, as evidenced by my fairly pathetic blogging record recently. Now that following your favourite blogs has become harder than ever (I've resulted to bookmarking them in a folder - very 2009) I've simply lost all motivation. As mentioned, I live for that oh so valuable response from my readers, but with SM platform algorithms making it impossible for our posts to be seen short of tweeting about them every hour of the day (which I REFUSE to do) I just don't see the point. Even when I have a great idea, the first thought that comes to my head is "but no one is going to see it!" And I'm stopped dead in my tracks. Why should I put a lot of hard work and love into something that has no chance of seeing the light of day without me having to publicise it within an inch of its life? I simply won't do that, so what's the point?

So, you see my dilemma. I love blogging, but this new obstacle that we've been presented with in order to succeed (however that may be defined in your own eyes) may very well lead to the death of something I've dedicated a a huge chunk of my life to. 

Maybe I'm not trying hard enough? Maybe there's some workaround that I've overseen? Fellow bloggers - how have you overcome this SM nightmare? Send advice on a postcard - I need all the help I can get. 

Post a Comment

Follow

Instagram