3 things that changed my photoshop game...


1. Learning about the basic adjustment layers (e.g. curves, levels, selective colour)

This comes mainly from experimenting with various versions of Photoshop over the years, but I have to give a great deal of credit to A Beautiful Mess' Photoshop for Bloggers course which I picked up on sale a month or two ago. Having someone take you step-by-step through processes (both in video and text format) has been a huge help when refining some of my skills. I'm still a long way off my ideal skill level and still have a couple of chapters left in the course, but it's been a huge help. Not to say you need to purchase a course to learn properly about these things, though - the following blog posts have also been a big help!

- A beginners guide to Photoshop and editing #2 by Rebecca from From Roses
- How to edit blog photos by Rhianna from Robowecop

2. Playing with actions (free ones + purchased)

Ah, actions - you beautiful things you. Seriously, how did I go years without knowing about actions? This post by Chaitra from Pink Pot finally got me to give them a go (she also tells you how to install them!) and I seriously haven't turned back since. Chaitra also includes some lovely free actions so that you can try them out for yourself. I've also had fun playing around with the handful of actions that I got when I bought the Photoshop for Bloggers, and am currently eyeing up some of ABM's packs in their online shop! I definitely don't depend on actions for my everyday editing, but it's really nice to be able to play around and try layering them to achieve different effects! 

3. Taking advantage of using Bridge in conjunction with Photoshop

Adobe Bridge was another thing that I kind of left 'over there' for the longest time because I didn't know what to do with it. Once again, Photoshop for Bloggers (I swear I'm not sponsored!) was a huge help for me because it really introduced me to the benefits of using Bridge in conjunction with my beloved Photoshop. Granted, it's not the most exciting app, but it does make things easier to organise and helps when selecting which images you want to use. Is this partnership life-changing? No, but it does make the whole process of editing en masse much easier and more organised.


Are you a big Photoshop user? What are the biggest things that have helped you to get the most out of it? Let me know!

Post a Comment

Follow

Instagram