Hey guys,

So as many of you know I have a crazy year ahead of me. However, for those who don't know or want to know more, I have decided to compile this post to let you all know what's going on. So, if you didn't already know, I am studying Russian, Spanish and European Studies at the University of Bath in the UK. In about a month I will be finishing my second year (and hopefully passing!!), which will mark the start of an exciting adventure. As a requirement of my course, the third year of study is a Year Abroad, where I have to spend a minimum of 3 months in each language-speaking country, as well as being abroad for the existing term dates. Over the last 6 months or so I have been planning non-stop and have finally got a pretty good idea of where I'm going and what I will be doing. So, I'm now going to let you guys see what I've been planning and introduce you to a new addition to Isobel Rose that will help me document my Year Abroad.

Ok, so like I said, I have to spend at least 3 months in both Russia and a Spanish-speaking country.

First Semester:
On the 7th September 2013, I am moving to Russia! The flights are booked and the visa application is in progress. I will be moving to a place called Voronezh (Воронеж), which is about 1 hr flight south of Moscow. I will be spending about 3.5 months there and will be studying Russian at Voronezh State University. As you can imagine, this is all terribly exciting yet absolutely petrifying! It's a completely different culture and of course, language, so it is going to be interesting to say the least. I will be staying with a Хозяйка (housewife) which will really improve my language skills (which need the help!) My return flights are booked for the 14th December, so I will be back in time for Christmas.

Source: Google Maps

Second Semester:
As you can imagine, the second semester isn't quite as planned out yet but I do know where I'm going and what I'm doing. I basically had the choice of going to South America or Spain, and ultimately decided to settle on Spain as I didn't want to pick up and South American Spanish that could end up confusing me. After my trip last summer, I fell in love with Madrid and knew that I wanted to return there. I have applied to study at the Universidad Complutense de Madrid, a well know uni in the centre of Madrid. I am slightly less apprehensive about moving to Spain for a few reasons. 1). I speak much better Spanish than Russian, 2). I have been to Spain and am much more familiar with the culture, and 3). It is so much closer to home, both geographically and in ease (eg. I won't need a visa!) I will be moving out there at the beginning of February 2014 and the term ends in mid July, so I will turn 21 when I'm there!

Source: Google Maps

So those are my plans. I obviously haven't included everything but if you do want to know more then feel free to leave a comment below or contact me elsewhere. Now, moving onto the new addition! I have set up a secondary blog, The Travel Diary of a Third Culture Kid, which is where I will be documenting all things Year Abroad. I decided to make it so that this blog wouldn't be bombarded with that incase you aren't interested. It is only basic at the moment because I wanted to get it up and running so I could write this post. You can also find the blog button for it in the sidebar. 


One thing I do want to mention is the uncertainty of the year ahead, especially in Russia. I don't know how much internet access I will have, I won't be able to take my DSLR (20kg limit!!!) and my outfits will most likely be less than fashionable. In Madrid it should be a lot easier. I just want to warn you guys as I really don't know what lies ahead, so I can't promise anything. This obviously all applies to my YouTube channel as well.

So that's about it. If you're interested then I'd love it if you'd look at my new blog and follow it. Please do contact me if you want to know anything. Now I just have to pass my exams otherwise none of this will be happening!!!

Post a Comment

Follow

Instagram